World I and II onto the 70’s

World War I Years
 During this period the association was decimated with several clubs having to resign due to the number of members off defending their country, but the directors decided to keep the interest going for those who were left at home. Mr Henry Mechan stated that due to the war he had withdrawn all contributions towards sports and his donation would be reconsidered when normal times returned.
Instead of the medals it agreed to give the winning rink one guinea. In 1916 an intimation from Inkerman informing the association that due to the stoppage of the Inkerman Works the bowling club had become defunct and therefore asked that the Inkerman club be withdrawn from membership.
The secretary had written to Midtownfield Bowling Club regarding membership. Midtown, Howwood entered the association for competition. Resignations were received from John J. Fleming, Barrhead and Old Kilbarchan which were unfortunately accepted. Bridge of Weir and Gourock retained membership but did not compete in any competitions. In 1917 only 12 clubs supplying 24 rinks participated in the Cup game the lowest in the life of the Renshaw association. In this year the green at Old Kilbarchan was closed with the players going to the new green. So from this point onwards when Kilbarchan is mentioned it is the new club.
At the 1918 annual general meeting it was decided that due to the credit balance being almost wiped out they would discontinue the champion of champion’s competition for at least this season, and this was the only season it was stopped, but the prize money for the Renshaw Cup would be the same as before, that being 2 guineas to the winner of the cup and one guinea to the highest up rink. In this year Barrhead re-joined the association after a year’s absence. With the disruption of the war, many of the affiliated clubs withdrew from membership of the association and it was hoped that when normal times resumed the membership would again increase to make the association what it once was. In time the membership did grow with new clubs asking to join and some of the clubs who had been members also asked to re-join, this giving the association an incredible boost.

The passing of Sir Charles Renshaw
  Reference was made to the recent and lamented death of Sir Charles Bine Renshaw, Bart., of Barochan on Wednesday, 6th March 1918. The funeral cortege from St John’s to the Abbey cemetery passed through Johnstone where the streets were lined with those people who had respected him for all he had worked for in their cause over a period of 48 years.
Also lining the streets were the police and fire services of the county, a final tribute to Sir Charles Bine Renshaw, a true Renfrewshire man.
All present expressed their condolences and appreciation of the services he had rendered to the bowlers of West Renfrewshire in presenting the various cups for competition during the existence of the association, by the donation of the three cups.
The secretary, Mr John M. Drennan was instructed to write to the widow of Sir Charles Renshaw sending condolences from all clubs in the association.
The following is the letter sent to the good lady

Since the inception of this association, 22 years ago, Sir Charles had always taken a deep interest in bowlers and bowling in his constituency, and through his practical interest and liberal generosity they were now competing for the third cup presented by him.
  It is needless to say that this competition instituted by him has been instrumental in bringing together bowlers from all parts of the division, thus forming a closer unity and mutual friendship with each other than would have been the case had such an association not been in existence. This competition has all along maintained the enthusiasm and keen rivalry which characterised the opening years and is still retaining its popularity amongst bowlers.
  In the name of the bowlers of West Renfrewshire I beg to convey to you their deepest sympathy in the loss of your partner in life.’
1920 Annual General Meeting (Globe Hotel Paisley)
In this year Inverkip re-joined the association meanwhile J. G. Fleming rejoined a few days after the cup draw. Hawkhead Asylum withdrew on the grounds that they could not possibly send out rinks on a Saturday. Mr Drennan who had been the secretary of the association since 1908 intimated that he was not seeking re-election. Mr James Harvey from Elderslie was appointed to the position.
The decision to change the date of the Renshaw Cup games from the second Saturday to the last one so as not to clash with the Inter-County game with Dumbarton. It was also decided to fall in line with the County Cup and ask clubs to provide refreshments due to the number of complaints from players. The price of 7/- per rinks was agreed. Clubs who were members in this year were: Barrhead, Blacklandmill, Bowfield, Bridge of Weir, Brookfield, Cardonald, Elderslie, Gourock, Houston, Inkerman, Inverkip, Kilbarchan, Kilmacolm, Lilybank, Lochwinnoch, Midton, Neilston and Scotstounhill.
During the election of office bearers in 1921, a member of committee objected to the sitting secretary’s position to hold office as he did not represent any club. The secretary seemingly resented this and resigned there and then leaving the room and taking the minutes of the meeting with him. The directors then appointed an interim secretary but it unanimously decided to postpone further business until the appointment of a new secretary/treasurer. The outgoing secretary was written to and asked to attend the next meeting bringing with him or to forward all monies, books and other paraphernalia belong to the association. The adjourned annual meeting was held in Elderslie Wallace BC where Mr Andrew Muir from Elderslie was appointed as the association’s new secretary/ treasurer.
It was proposed that each club supply no less than three rinks for the cup game which would be voted on at the next annual meeting. This motion was again defeated. On moving to the George Temperance Hotel in Paisley for the 1923 AGM it was proposed that because a telephone would be available, it was agreed to allow each host club 1/- for telephone expenses so as clubs would be able to phone in the results. The annual general meeting of the association in 1925 saw a fair turnout of clubs. The president at the time was Mr Gibson of Neilston who announced that two new clubs were being admitted to the Renshaw Association. The clubs were Crofthead and Arthurlie.
The final of the Renshaw single handed championship was held on Kilbarchan green where James Findlay of Midton met James Adams of Lilybank. James Findlay who was still a teenager triumphed by 21-6.
Kilbarchan cup
Renshaw Challenge Cup won outright by Kilbarchan Bowling Club in 1938

World War II and On To The ’70s
  As with the First World War the association had trying times when the Second World War started in 1939. Due to this event clubs had reduced memberships and were not able to play in the Renshaw Cup or the Single-handed event. As the cup had been won outright in 1938 by Kilbarchan another cup had to be sought, but with no member of the Renshaw family around at this time the association had to purchase their own cup at a cost £12.10/- In 1941 some of the Renshaw Cup games were played on a Saturday evening to accommodate the clubs. The result was not known until late in the evening because of the games being played at Barrhead and Blacklandmill, and at that point everything was kept a secret.
As it was so late in the evening it was not possible to present the cup to the winners who turned out to be Elderslie Wallace 41 shots to the good. A presentation was held in Elderslie Wallace BC on Saturday 29th June at a little social. Also in 1941 with rationing on the go it was thought that the Renshaw competitions should be abandoned for this year. After a discussion is was agreed that the games would go ahead, but it was up to each individual rink that would be responsible for their own teas. Cardonald stated at this time they could not supply refreshments for the clubs playing on their green.
The annual subscription which had been in vogue for many years was kept at 15/- but the 7/- allowance for teas would have to be scrapped in the meantime. In 1942 due to the resignation of Kirktonfield, Neilston, the subscriptions would have to be increased because at this stage the balance left from 1941 was £2.5/2d and this was proposed and seconded; the new fees would now be £1. A change to the presentation of the cup which was always presented on the day of the matches, took place in 1944 with the winning club hosting a game with the officials from the association and members of their club on a Saturday.
In the Renshaw Cup game of 1945 Lilybank and Neilston tied for first place, so it was decided to have a playoff with Lilybank coming out as victors. And also in this year a gold medal was struck to commemorate the 50th year of the association, and subsequently the medal was won by Sammy Woods of Inkerman. In 1946 it was voted on at the AGM that the prize for winning the cup would go up from 2 guineas to 3 guineas, the highest up rink to go from 1 guinea to £1.10/-. The single handed prize would rise from 2 guineas to 3 guineas with the runner up receiving £1.10/-. All this came about because of the prudence of the association officials.
As the association progressed three new clubs were admitted in 1949 to bring the membership up to 21. The clubs were Kilmacolm, returning after an absence, Mearns and Nitshill being new to the association. With the influx of the new clubs it was proposed that the prize money for the winning club in the cup would rise from 3 guineas to 4 guineas, this was unanimously approved.
In their first year of competition Mearns Bowling Club won the Renshaw Cup with a majority of 18 shots. The following year Hillington entered the association and like Mearns won the Renshaw Cup in their first year of competition. Hillington resigned from the association the following year. A review of the constitution took place in 1950 as everyone felt the existing one was well out of date. The secretary said he would peruse this and have any amendments before the next AGM. The only wording that would need to be changed was the name of the association going from the Renshaw Cup Bowling Association to Renshaw Bowling Association. This was unanimously agreed.
At the AGM of 1954 a notice of motion was proposed by Crofthead BC asking that a pairs competition should be started. After some discussion and an amendment for the status quo, a vote was taken and the motion was carried 7-6. As this was being funded by the association the annual subscription would have to be increased from £1 to £1.5/-. The eventual winners of the first pairs competition were A. Leitch and J. Mackie from Neilston BC, beating a pair from Bridge of Weir.
The following year the association suffered the loss of Barrhead, Birkmyre Park, Cardonald, and Mearns clubs reducing the membership, but with Pressed Steel applying for membership in 1956 this would bring the membership up to 17 clubs, but by the next year Nitshill & Hurlet had resigned from the association, only to rejoin along with Kilmacolm in 1962. In 1967 the Pressed Steel was to be known as Rootes Pressing Scotland, only to become Rootes Motors the following year, followed by being called Talbot Motors. Inverkip also joined in this year bringing the membership up to 18 clubs. The AGM of the association had been held in various places in Paisley, like the Globe Hotel, George Temperance Hotel and the Y.M.C.A. for the past few years.
In 1957 on a proposal from Lilybank that the association could hold its AGMs within the Lilybank clubhouse this saving on the hall rentals. All at this meeting agreed to accept Lilybank as their new association HQ, but this was to change to Elderslie Wallace the following year and has been held there ever since, a fitting tribute to Sir Charles Bine Renshaw, who was patron of Elderslie Wallace.
With Pressed Steel having been in the association for a few years, the management committee of their club decided to present a trophy for the single handed competition of the Renshaw. At the 1964 AGM they donated a Rose Bowl to the association. Three years later due to the kindness of Blacklandmill a trophy was presented to the association for the pairs competition. Also at this time the addition of Erskine Hospital and Shanks from Barrhead brought the association membership up to 20 clubs, the highest number for some years.
In 1970 it was proposed at the AGM that a triples competition could be started to bring more interest to the association. The triples started in the summer of 1971. As the association grew in popularity it was proposed to run a fours competition in 1972. This was a very popular decision, and it was stated that Inkerman Bowling Club would furnish a trophy for the competition in commemoration of their centenary which fell in this year. The directors of the Renshaw felt that this was a magnificent gesture and welcomed the new trophy.